Griswold - The Favorite Cast Iron Collectible
Matthew Griswold and partners began manufacturing skillets, pots and other cast iron items in the 1870s with a foundry located in Erie, Pennsylvania. There were many competing foundries at the time and there isn’t much of note that was produced in this earlier time period. By the 1880s, Griswold began manufacturing “ERIE” skillets which were noted as high quality cast iron at the time, and are still recognized as quality cookware to this day.
There were six series of “ERIE” skillets produced between the 1880s and 1907, identified by the prominent “ERIE” logo at the 12 o’clock position on the bottom of the pan along with heat ring position, handle configuration and pattern number.
The “ERIE” logo transitioned in to a slanted logo within a cross which was within two circles. This slant logo with the word “ERIE” beneath it, also known as a slant Erie, was in use beginning in 1909. By 1916, the logo was once again transitioning with the word “ERIE” being changed to “ERIE, PA, U.S.A.”, which is now referred to as a slant EPU.
The logo changed again around 1920 to block style lettering instead of the slant lettering, with the cookware being referred to as large block logo. This carried through until 1939 when the logo reduced overall in size. From 1939 until 1957, these small block logos were produced.
The Griswold company was having financial difficulty since the 40s and was sold in 1957 with the plant in Erie, PA closing later in 1957.
COMMENTS: Griswold manufactured cast iron cookware in many configurations with private label and un-marked pans being produced along with nickel or chrome
plating and sometimes wooden handles. If you are looking for cast iron to use, unmarked or different label pans will provide you the same quality and
characteristics without the "collector" price tag.
ERIE Skillets by Roy Meadows - Wagner and Griswold Society, Roy Meadows
Evolution of the Griswold trademark - The Cast Iron Collector